A No-Fear Approach to Business Finance
Are you a blogger? Are you working on becoming a blogger? Are you totally new and curious about blogging as a career?
If you haven’t learned this already, you’re going to learn it soon:
Finance, accounting, and bookkeeping concepts are still highly relevant to solopreneur info-businesses.
That’s the harsh truth that most people try to ignore for as long as possible. And I get it. You’re a creative, and finance is just..so…technical.
I know why you hate bookkeeping. I hate it too. But you cannot afford to ignore your numbers.
My professional background is accounting. I double majored in accounting and finance while interning at a CPA firm. After graduation, I gave a year of my life to public accounting as a staff accountant at that same firm. Somewhere during that mess, I realized I hated it.
So 20+ bookkeeping clients and 260+ tax returns later, I’m transitioning out of the public accounting world. But I’m taking one vital lesson with me:
Managing your finances is vital to your business. Bookkeeping isn’t glamorous, it isn’t fun, it isn’t creative…but it is necessary.
My mission is this.
I live in the space between “Just starting a blog” and “Need to hire a CPA” so that I can empower YOU with the knowledge and confidence to DIY your bookkeeping and make more informed decisions.
Don’t just outsource it and ignore it. You need to know your own numbers. Have you ever seen the entrepreneurs spouting out numbers and statistics on the TV show Shark Tank? I want you to be that kind of confident.
And it doesn’t have to be that painful! I like to have fun, so my explanations are ridiculous (yet helpful!), my concepts are backed with visuals, and pictures of my dog are everywhere.
Like this. Flash is using his donut toy as a pillow. How cute is that?!
He’ll make sticking around here worth it.
You know what else will make it worth it?
Not feeling stressed during tax time trying to figure out whether or not your business made a profit.
Not feeling intimidated when you open up your bookkeeping software to reconcile your accounts for the month.
Not feeling lost in a room of entrepreneurs who seem to know way more about the technical side of business than you do.
I’m here to bring you confidence, clarity, and number-smarts in the simplest way possible. Because if you’re a fellow Lazypreneur, your ultimate goal is to free up time and make your life simpler.
See? I understand you. (Because I AM you!)
So stick around, and explore a little!
The “Lazy” Source?
Here’s the exciting (or boring, if you’re mean) part!
10 things about me …though I cheat on number 10.
- My name is Katie Scott. It’s actually Katharine (with an ‘a’ after the ‘h’) but I’m saving that for later in life just because I feel old when people call me that.
- I’ve lived in Florida all my life. It’s hot. People drive bad. But it’s a great place to live.
- I married my college sweetheart, Michael, on May 20, 2017. (Yes, that means I’m married to a Michael Scott. Shoutout to fans of The Office, but I’ve never watched it. Sorry.)
- I was a double major and earned my B.S. in Accounting and Finance. I based that decision off of my love for journal entries in the principles level accounting class. Boy was I in for a surprise. Accounting got hard. Finance got weird.
- I have a full-time job at a local public accounting firm that I’m currently transitioning out of! I’ll still get another job to keep paying the bills, but this blog is ultimately my 9-5 Escape Plan. Shout to my fellow Day-Jobber!
- My three main food groups are Chocolate, Chicken Wings, and Sweet Tea. This is not a fitness blog.
- I have a borderline unhealthy love for all dogs. (My dog is a Shih Tzu/Chihuahua mix and his name is Flash. You will see many pictures of him around because he’s the cutiest cute of all the cutes.)
- My favorite book of all time is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. My favorite series is The Daughter of Smoke & Bone trilogy by Laini Taylor. (Psst, I’ve got more book recommendations here!)
- I’m half-Taiwanese, but I only like rice 5% of the time and I use chopsticks as well as an earthworm would.
- RANDOM THINGS I LOVE: Sharpie Pens, Spreadsheets, Megamind, Star Wars, budgets, organizing, sewing mini-plushies, tactical knives, hot sauce, Miyazaki movies, Team Ico games, Avatar the Last Airbender, Pepsi, Prague, and the word “penultimate.”
One more thing!
Simple & FREE Bookkeeping?!
Have you started your blog's bookkeeping system yet?
It's not too late! Drop your info here and I'll send you my full start-to-finish video tutorial that will get you started today.
And I promise, none of it will cost you a dime.