The Business Behind Your Business
Are you a blogger? Are you working on becoming a blogger? Are you totally new and curious about blogging as a career?
If you haven’t learned this already, you’re going to learn it soon:
Blogging ain’t so easy peasy lemon squeezy.
If you search “How to start a blog” on Pinterest, you’ll find dozens of feminine pins claiming you can “Start a Profitable Blog in 10 Minutes!”
There’s a lot of these false promises out there. Even once you’ve figured out how to actually start your blog, turning it into an actual business is an entirely different ball game.
Lucky for you, I love business.
I’ve always loved learning how businesses work, and now my passions have turned to making businesses work. Specifically, blogging businesses, since I’m lazy and 100% back the work-from-home-passive-income pursuit.
(Disclaimer: Blogging isn’t a career for people too lazy to do the work, and it will certainly never give you 100% passive income. Work has to be done.)
So I’ve rallied my resources. I have an educational background in business, I work at a CPA firm, and I’m a researchaholic. I want to share everything I know and everything I learn with you!
My mission is this.
If you’re stuck in a draining day job and need to chase something more fulfilling, I’m here for you.
If you’re desperate to earn passive income so you can do what you actually love to do, I’m here for you.
It just so happens that I believe blogging is your gateway to achieving these dreams.
Sound good? Great! If so, here’s a few more things you should know about TLS:
- I preach hardcore TRANSPARENCY. I believe in brutally honest brands. My goal is for you to trust that everything I say is what I truly believe. I believe businesses are built on the foundation you lay, and get-rich-quick mentalities do nothing but send cracks through that foundation. I ain’t gonna lie to ya.
- Transparency in action: I do not currently have a “successful” profitable blog. I have had blogs, and I have made money online, but I have not combined the two yet. I’m still heavily dependent on my day job for income, though I’d love to transition to working from home full time.
- Don’t run away! Because here’s my other promise: I will not preach theory. I want to be your research hub for successful blogging. What I find, I share. What I try, I share. What works for me, I share. What doesn’t work for me, I share.
- Remember that I have experience studying business and accounting, and I’m an accountant at a firm that specializes in small businesses. I’m also an avid researcher: I don’t just read other peoples’ blog posts for research. When possible, I consult academic text, literature, and other objective sources for the information I share. I promise to do everything in my power to only present you with the best information I’m capable of.
The Lazy Source?
Here’s the exciting (or boring, if you’re mean) part!
10 things about me …though I cheat on number 10.
- My name is Katie Scott. It’s actually Katharine (with an ‘a’ after the ‘h’) but I’m saving that for later in life just because I feel old when people call me that.
- I’ve lived in Florida all my life. It’s hot. People drive bad. But it’s a great place to live.
- I married my college sweetheart, Michael, on May 20, 2017. (Yes, that means I’m married to a Michael Scott. Shoutout to fans of The Office, but I’ve never watched it. Sorry.)
- I was a double major and earned my B.S. in Accounting and Finance. I based that decision off of my love for journal entries in the principles level accounting class. Boy was I in for a surprise. Accounting got hard. Finance got weird.
- I have a full-time job at a local accounting firm. This blog is my desperately needed creative outlet.
- My three main food groups are Chocolate, Chicken Wings, and Sweet Tea. This is not a fitness blog.
- I have a borderline unhealthy love for all dogs. (My dog is a Shih Tzu/Chihuahua mix and his name is Flash. You will see many pictures of him around because he’s the cutiest cute of all the cutes.)
- My favorite book of all time is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. My favorite series is The Daughter of Smoke & Bone trilogy by Laini Taylor. (Psst, I’ve got more book recommendations here!)
- I’m half-Taiwanese, but I only like rice 5% of the time and I use chopsticks as well as an earthworm.
- RANDOM THINGS I LOVE: Sharpie Pens, Spreadsheets, Megamind, Star Wars, budgets, organizing, sewing mini-plushies, tactical knives, hot sauce, Miyazaki movies, Team Ico games, Avatar the Last Airbender, Pepsi, Prague, and the word “penultimate.”